Wilkes-Barre General Hospital
Location WILKES BARRE, PA (Wilkes-Barre General Hospital)
Department Other - 2
Field Psychological/Social Svcs
Provides mental health assessments, in conjunction with general hospital and other MH staff, to individuals experiencing a major life event. This person is involved in crisis prevention or aiding with problems with adjustment to people suffering mental distress. Maintains thorough and confidential records of observations. Working as part of a multidisciplinary group relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals to assist people suffering mental health crises. Performs a variety of tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Reports to a supervisor or manager.
Bachelor's degree in area of specialty with 2 years of experience in the Human Services or in a related area preferred. Familiar with a variety of mental health and psychiatric concepts, practices, and procedures.
A mental health professional:
1) A Master’s degree in social work, psychology, rehabilitation, activity therapies, counseling, education or related fields and 3 years of mental health direct care experience.
2) A Bachelor’s degree in sociology, social work, psychology, gerontology, anthropology, political science, history, criminal justice, theology, counseling, education or a related field, or be a registered: and 5 years of mental health direct care experience, 2 of which shall include supervisory experience
3) A Bachelor’s degree in nursing and 3 years of mental health direct care experience.
4) A registered nurse license, certified in psychology or psychiatry.
Crisis Clinicians who are not mental health professionals shall be supervised by a mental health professional and have one of the following:
1) A Bachelor’s degree with major course work in sociology, social work, psychology, gerontology, anthropology, political science, history, criminal justice, theology, nursing, counseling, education or related field.
2) A registered nurse.
3) A high school diploma or equivalency and 3 years of mental health direct care experience in public or private human services with employment as a mental health staff person prior to January 1, 1992.
4) A consumer or a family member who has 1 year of experience as an advocate or leader in a consumer or family group and has a high school diploma or equivalency.
5) Staff persons employed by a provider who have 5 years’ experience as a supervisor of mental health services in mental health agency prior to January 1, 1992 are exempted from this requirement.